(Species Checklist, Species by Country)
|Based on Ward et al. 2010.|
Dubovikov (2004) - Closely related to the genus Bothriomyrmex in habitus, but differs from it in the palpal index 6:4 (4:3, 2:3, or 2:2 in species of Bothriomyrmex) and in the presence of the median hypostoma (absent in Bothriomyrmex). Worker. Palpal index 6:4. Eyes small (with about 20 facets), situated near antennal sockets; simple ocelli absent. Antennae 12-segmented. Mandibules with 4 or 5 small teeth. Median hypostoma developed, without emargination. Metanotal depression deep. Main surface of propodeum situated distinctly below mesonotum.
|See images of species within this genus|
Keys including this Genus
Distribution and Richness based on AntMaps
Life History Traits
- Mean colony size: ? (Greer et al., 2021)
- Compound colony type: not parasitic (Greer et al., 2021)
- Nest site: hypogaeic (Greer et al., 2021)
- Diet class: omnivore (Greer et al., 2021)
- Foraging stratum: subterranean/leaf litter (Greer et al., 2021)
Only known from the worker caste.
• Eyes: 11-100 ommatidia • Pronotal Spines: absent • Mesonotal Spines: absent • Propodeal Spines: absent • Petiolar Spines: absent • Caste: none or weak • Sting: absent • Metaplural Gland: present • Cocoon: absent
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- NEBOTHRIOMYRMEX [Dolichoderinae: Leptomyrmecini]
- Nebothriomyrmex Dubovikov, 2004a: 522. Type-species: Nebothriomyrmex majeri, by original designation.
The name of the new genus is formed by the negative prefex “ne” and the name of the genus Bothriomyrmex, to which specimens of the new species were erroneously referred previously.
- Cantone S. 2018. Winged Ants, The queen. Dichotomous key to genera of winged female ants in the World. The Wings of Ants: morphological and systematic relationships (self-published).
- Dubovikoff, D.A. 2004b. Nebothriomyrmex majeri gen. et sp. n., a new genus and species of ants (Hymenoptera, Formicidae, Dolichoderinae) from Australia. Entomologicheskoe Obozrenie 83(2): 487-489, 511 (page 487, Nebothriomyrmex as genus)
- Dubovikoff, D.A. 2005. The system of taxon Bothriomyrmex Emery, 1869 sensu lato (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) and relatives genera. Kavkazskii Entomologicheskii Byulleten 1(1): 89-94 (page 92, Nebothriomyrmex in Iridomyrmecina)
- Heterick, B. E. 2009a. A guide to the ants of South-western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum, Supplement 76: 1-206. Part 1.