The nest of Camponotus nitidescens was on a cracked rock wall under a loose piece of rock. The rock was situated on the edge of a natural deciduous forest composed of low oaks and underbrush heavily overgrown with Mediterranean macchia. The wall with the nest was on north-western exposure (Borowiec & Salata, 2014).
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- nitidescens. Camponotus kiesenwetteri r. nitidescens Forel, 1889: 260 (w.) GREECE.
- Combination in C. (Myrmentoma): Emery, 1925b: 121.
- Subspecies of kiesenwetteri: Emery, 1896d 376 (in list); Emery, 1914d: 159; Emery, 1925b: 121; Finzi, 1930d: 318; Bolton, 1995b: 114.
- Junior synonym of piceus: Radchenko, 1997b: 707; Radchenko, 2016: 334.
- Status as species: Borowiec, L. & Salata, 2014b: 502.
Seifert (2019): This taxon has been described from Kephalonia / Greece. Investigation of types of all castes from Musee d'Histoire Naturelle Genève, all labeled ‘...Kephalonia...nitidescens...type’, showed a much stronger sculpture and much denser pubescence on all body surfaces than observed in any member of the C. lateralis group. This results in a matte surface appearance at smaller magnifications. This difference to the C. lateralis group is most obvious on gaster tergites. These characters are perhaps a little less expressed than in the Camponotus kiesenwetteri type. Borowiec and Salata (2014) have raised C. k. nitidescens to species level and considered it closely related to Camponotus boghossiani without comparing type specimens or discussing photos of type specimens of C. kiesenwetteri, C. k. nitidescens and C. boghossiani.
- Borowiec, L. & Salata, S. 2014. Redescription of Camponotus nitidescens Forel, 1889, new status and notes on ants from Kefalonia, Greece (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Genus (Wroclaw) 25(3):499-517.
- Salata, S., Loss, A.C., Karaman, C., Kiran, K., Borowiec, L. 2019. Review of the Camponotus kiesenwetteri group (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) in the Aegean with the description of a new species. ZooKeys 899: 85–107 (doi:10.3897/zookeys.899.46933).
- Seifert, B. 2019. A taxonomic revision of the members of the Camponotus lateralis species group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) from Europe, Asia Minor and Caucasia. Soil Organisms 91: 7-32 (DOI 10.25674/so-91-1-02).