Collected as part of a soil core in mixed dipterocarp forest, in Berlese Funnel extractions of leaf mold and from winkler sampling of leaf litter. Little else is known about this species or genus. It is only known from the worker caste.
Branstetter (2009) - Propodilobus can be distinguished from Stenamma by the reduced palp formula (3,2 versus 4,3), smoothly convex anterior clypeal margin, distinct 3-segmented antennal club (ACI 74-75 versus 60-70), and elongate propodeal lobes. In addition, the postpetiole is broader than long and the scape and funiculus of Propodilobus have a more robust appearance than in Stenamma.
Propodilobus may be confused with Lordomyrma since Lordomyrma is morphologically diverse and currently lacks an adequate diagnosis. It is possible that when a more comprehensive morphological review of Lordomyrma is undertaken or the phylogenetic position of Propodilobus is tested with molecular data, Propodilobus will be synonymized under Lordomyrma or a related genus. Despite this, from the diagnoses listed in Sarnat (2006) and Taylor (2009), Propodilobus can be distinguished from Lordomyrma by its lack of longitudinal carinae on the clypeus, lack of scrobes and frontal carinae, the presence of an elongate petiolar peduncle, and the presence of elongate propodeal lobes.
Borneo (Sarawak, Malaysia)
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Known only from the worker caste.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- orientale. Stenamma orientale DuBois, 1998b: 308, figs. 41-43, 210-212 (w.) MALAYSIA (Sarawak). [Junior primary homonym of orientalis Emery, 1898c: 143.] Replacement name: pingorum DuBois, 2000: 40.
- pingorum. Stenamma pingorum DuBois, 2000: 40. Replacement name for orientale DuBois, 1998b: 308. [Junior primary homonym of orientalis Emery, 1898c: 143.] Combination in Propodilobus: Branstetter, 2009: 55.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Brandstetter (2009) - Holotype worker and paratype workers, MALAYSIA: Sarawak, First Division, Semengoh Forest Reserve, 19 km SW Kuching (1.33ºN, 110.20ºW) (2 km S 10th mile Bazaar, on Kuching-Penrissen Road), 28–31 May 1968, R.W. Taylor, RWT-68.196, leaf mould berlesate in rainforest [Holotype and paratype workers in Australian National Insect Collection examined.]
- Branstetter, M.G. 2009. The ant genus Stenamma Westwood redefined, with a description of a new genus Propodilobus. Zootaxa 2221: 41-57. PDF
- DuBois, M. B. 1998a. A revision of the ant genus Stenamma in the Palaearctic and Oriental regions (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Myrmicinae). Sociobiology 29: 193-403 PDF
- DuBois, M. B. 2000b. Stenamma pingorum: replacement name for Stenamma orientale (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Sociobiology 36: 40 PDF
- Emery, C. 1898c. Beiträge zur Kenntniss der palaearktischen Ameisen. Öfvers. Fin. Vetensk.-Soc. Förh. 20: 124-151 PDF