Polyrhachis craddocki is so far known only from two localities separated by a distance of over 2600 km, with no material known from areas in between. All specimens from Brunei were collected during two successive visits to the KBFSC, apparently from a single colony trail on a tree trunk and surrounding vegetation just a few hundred metres from the base accommodation units. A thorough search of the surrounding areas to locate another P. craddocki colony was conducted on both occasions, with the help of the entomology staff of the Brunei Museum, but without success. (Kohuot, 2014)
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
A member of the lamellidens group of the subgenus Polyrhachis. In spite of the geographical separation, the known specimens of this taxon are very similar and, apart from the generally larger size of specimens from Brunei (HL 1.81 – 2.00 versus HL 1.72 – 1.84 in syntypes from Myanmar), they are closely comparable in all other aspects.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- craddocki. Polyrhachis craddocki Bingham, 1903: 403, fig. 138 (w.) MYANMAR. See also: Hung, 1970: 31.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Kohout (2014) - Dimensions (syntypes cited first): TL c. 6.89 – 7.31, 7.36 – 8.16; HL 1.72 – 1.84, 1.81 – 2.00; HW 1.56 – 1.65, 1.65 – 1.78; CI 90 – 91, 88 – 92; SL 1.87 – 2.12, 2.12 – 2.31; SI 120 – 128, 126 – 131; PW 0.97 – 1.12, 1.18 – 1.34; PeH 1.76 – 2.09, 2.09 – 2.25; PeI 102 – 113, 109 – 115; MTL 2.28 – 2.53, 2.59 – 2.90 (3+15 measured).
- Bingham, C. T. 1903. The fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. Hymenoptera, Vol. II. Ants and Cuckoo-wasps. London: Taylor and Francis, 506 pp.
- Hung, A. C. F. 1970. A revision of ants of the subgenus Polyrhachis Fr. Smith (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Formicinae). Orient. Insects 4: 1-36 (page 31, see also)
- Kohout, R.J. 2014. A review of the subgenus Polyrhachis (Polyrhachis) Fr. Smith (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Formicinae) with keys and description of a new species. Asian Myrmecology 6, 1–31.
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Kohout R. J. 2014. A review of the subgenus Polyrhachis (Polyrhachis) Fr. Smith (Hymenoptera: Formicidae: Formicinae) with keys and description of a new species. Asian Myrmecology 6: 1-31.
- Pfeiffer M.; Mezger, D.; Hosoishi, S.; Bakhtiar, E. Y.; Kohout, R. J. 2011. The Formicidae of Borneo (Insecta: Hymenoptera): a preliminary species list. Asian Myrmecology 4:9-58
- Robson Simon Database Polyrhachis -05 Sept 2014