Radchenko & Elmes, 1998
According to Radchenko and Elmes (2010), the ecology of this species is poorly known. It has been found at altitudes of 1000-1900m above mean sea level and one nest was found in soil beneath a log in a Quercus forest (Bharti et al., 2016).
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Radchenko and Elmes (2010) - A member of the ritae complex of the ritae species group. It is characterized by the not-very-coarse sinuous rugosity of the frons (having not less than 6 rugae between frontal carinae level with the eyes), by the coarsely reticulated rear third of the head dorsum, and by the presence of abundant erect hairs on the head margins.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
Known only from the worker caste.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- urbanii. Myrmica urbanii Radchenko & Elmes, 1998: 16, fig. 4 (1-5) (w.) INDIA. See also: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 314.
Radchenko and Elmes (2010) - this species was dedicated to our friend, the distinguished Italian myrmecologist Prof. Cesare Baroni-Urbani.
- Bharti, H., Sasi, S., Radchenko, A. 2016. Biogeography and ecology of Myrmica species (Formicidae: Myrmicinae) in Himalayan regions. Sociobiology 63, 956-975 (DOI 10.13102/sociobiology.v63i3.1145).
- Radchenko, A. G.; Elmes, G. W. 1998. Taxonomic revision of the ritae species-group of the genus Myrmica (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Vestn. Zool. 32(4): 3-27 (page 16, fig. 4 (1-5) worker described)
- Radchenko, A.G. & Elmes, G.W. 2010. Myrmica ants of the Old World. Fauna Mundi 3: 1-789.
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Chen Z. L., S. Y. Zhou, and J. H. Huang. 2016. Seven species new to science and one newly recorded species of the ant genus Myrmica Latreille, 1804 from China, with proposal of a new synonym (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). ZooKeys 551: 85–128.
- Radchenko A. G., and G. W. Elmes. 2001. A taxonomic revision of the ant genus Myrmica Latreille, 1804 from the Himalaya (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Entomologica Basiliensia 23: 237-276.
- Wang W., Zhou S. Y., and J. H. Huang. 2005. A new species of the genus Vollenhovia Mayr and a new record species of the genus Myrmica Latreille from China (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). [In Chinese with English summary] Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica 30(4): 835-838.