M. kasczenkoi is an hemixerophilous species, inhabiting dry and light pine forests and steppes where it nests in the soil, often under stones. Nuptial flights are from August-September. (Radchenko and Elmes 2010)
Radchenko and Elmes (2010) - A member of the lobicornis complex of the lobicornis species group. It is most similar to Myrmica pisarskii by the shape and sculpture of its alitrunk and waist, but differs by the base of the scape having a less angled curve without a vertical lobe or dent.
Keys including this Species
Altai Mts., South Siberia, Mongolia.
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- foreliella. Myrmica lobicornis subsp. foreliella Arnol'di, 1976a: 553 (w.) TAJIKISTAN. Junior synonym of kirghisorum: Radchenko. 1994g: 87.
- kirghisorum. Myrmica lobicornis subsp. kirghisorum Arnol'di, 1976a: 553 (w.m.) KYRGYZSTAN. Tarbinsky, 1976: 33 (q.). Raised to species: Radchenko, 1994a: 43 (misspelled as kirgisorum); Radchenko, 1994c: 142 (in key). Senior synonym of foreliella: Radchenko, 1994g: 87. See also: Radchenko & Elmes, 2010: 167.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Radchenko and Elmes (2010) - M. kasczenkoi: this species was dedicated to the collector, the well-known Ukrainian zoologist, one of the founders of the Zoological Museum of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences (Kiev), Dr. of medicine and Dr. of zoology, Prof. Nikolai Feofanovich Kasczenko (1855-1935).
- Arnol'di, K. V. 1976a. Ants of the genus Myrmica Latr. from Central Asia and the southern Kazakstan. Zool. Zh. 55: 547-558 (page 553, worker, male described)
- Radchenko, A. G. 1994a. Taxonomic structure of the ant genus Myrmica (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) of Eurasia. Report 1. Zool. Zh. 73(6 6: 39-51 (page 43, Raised to species)
- Radchenko, A. G. 1994d. Identification table for ants of the genus Myrmica (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) from central and eastern Palearctic. Zool. Zh. 73(7-8 8: 130-145 (page 142, Raised to species (in key))
- Radchenko, A.G. & Elmes, G.W. 2010. Myrmica ants of the Old World. Fauna Mundi 3: 1-789.
- Tarbinsky, Y. S. 1976. The ants of Kirghizia. Frunze: Ilim, 217 pp. (page 33, see also)