This species is known from several well separated collections across northern Papua New Guinea. All are from forested areas and with several series being collected from low-level vegetation.
Relative eye length (eye length/head width) > 0.38, propodeal Length Index (propodeal length/head width) < 0.83, frontal lobes without erect hairs, lateral areas of head moderately imbricate and with integument opaque, area between propodeal protuberances flat to slightly convex.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- arbusta. Turneria arbusta Shattuck, 1990: 106, figs. 4, 5 (w.q.m.) NEW GUINEA.
- Holotype, worker, Lower Busu River, Huon Peninsula, Morobe District, Papua New Guinea, 5.v.1955, E. O. Wilson, E. O. Wilson #945, Museum of Comparative Zoology; lowland rain forest.
- Paratype, 6 workers, Lower Busu River, Huon Peninsula, Morobe District, Papua New Guinea, 5.v.1955, E. O. Wilson, E. O. Wilson #945, Museum of Comparative Zoology, The Natural History Museum; lowland rain forest.
- Paratype, 2 workers, 8km S Kokoda, 800m, Papua New Guinea, Taylor,R.W., ANIC32-014982, Australian National Insect Collection.
- Paratype, 2 workers, 8km S Kokoda, 800m, Papua New Guinea, Taylor,R.W., ANIC32-015036, Australian National Insect Collection.
The clypeus possesses 10 to 14 erect hairs. The body color is uniform reddish brown to dark brown, with the anterior portions of the head and the mandibles slightly lighter, and the dorsum of the head slightly darker, especially in light-colored individuals.
Holotype measurements: OOD 0.17, EL 0.26, OCD 0.13, CL 0.16, HL 0.71, LES 0.06, EW 0.14, ES 0.26, HW 0.65, SL 0.47, PnL 0.38, ML 0.29, PpL 0.22, PnW 0.43, MW 0.26, PpW 0.30, PO 0.03, FFL 0.49, FFW 0.22, MH 0.39, PpH 0.26, CI 0.91, OI 0.56, REL 0.40, SI 0.73, FI 0.45, PI 0.67, PpI 0.74, ROOD 0.27, POI 0.12, RPO 0.05, RMW 0.40, RLES 0.09, RES 0.40, RFFL 0.76.
Worker measurements (n=12): OOD 0.16-0.22, EL 0.22-0.28, OCD 0.11-0.15, CL 0.15-0.19, HL 0.65-0.78, LES 0.03-0.06, EW 0.13-0.16, ES 0.23-0.30, HW 0.56-0.68, SL 0.45-0.52, PnL 0.34-0.41, ML 0.27-0.33, PpL 0.19-0.26, PnW 0.38-0.45, MW 0.22-0.30, PpW 0.25-0.33, PO 0.03-0.06, FFL 0.47-0.56, FFW 0.19-0.23, MH 0.33-0.44, PpH 0.23-0.30, CI 0.86-0.93, OI 0.51-0.66, REL 0.38-0.42, SI 0.70-0.81, FI 0.39-0.48, PI 0.63-0.69, PpI 0.72-0.83, ROOD 0.25-0.32, POI 0.09-0.22, RPO 0.04-0.09, RMW 0.39-0.47, RLES 0.05-0.09, RES 0.40-0.46, RFFL 0.73-0.85.
Definitions of measurements cited above
- CL: Clypeal Length: measured in full face view.
- CI: Cephalic index: HL/HW.
- EL: Eye Length: measured in full face view.
- ES: Eye Spread: distance between inner-most edges of eyes measured in full face view.
- EW: Eye width measured in full face view.
- FFL: Fore Femur Length: maximum length of fore femur measured in lateral view.
- FFW: Fore Femur Width: maximum width of fore femur measured in lateral view.
- FI: Femur Index: FFW/FFL.
- HL: Head Length: maximum length of head in full face view, from the anterior clypeal margin to the midpoint of a line drawn across the occipital margin.
- HW: Head Width: maximum width of head in full face view, excluding eyes in workers and queens, including eyes in males.
- LES: Lateral Eye Space: distance from lateral edge of head to lateral edge of eye measured in full face view.
- MH: Mesothoracic Height: maximum height of the mesothorax measured perpendicular to the measuring axis.
- ML: Mesonotal Length: distance from the pronotal-mesonotal suture to the metanotal groove measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- MW: Mesonotal Width: minimum width of mesonotum in dorsal view profile.
- OCD: Ocular-Clypeal Distance: distance between anterior margin of eye and posterior margin of clypeus measured in full face view.
- OI: Ocular Index: EW/EL.
- OOD: Occiput-Ocular Distance: distance between posterior margin of eye and posterior extremity of occipital border measured in full face view.
- PI: Pronotal Width Index: PnW/HW.
- PnL: Pronotal Length: distance from the anterior edge of the pronotal collar to the pronotal-mesonotal suture measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- PnW: Pronotal Width: maximum width of pronotum, measured in dorsal view.
- PO: Propodeal Overhang: distance from the posterior-most point of the propodeal tubercles to the posterior-most point of the petiolar insertion measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- POI: Propodeal Overhang Index: PO/PpH.
- PpH: Propodeal Height: maximum height of the propodeum measured perpendicular to the measuring axis.
- PpL: Propodeal Length: distance from the metanotal groove to the posterior-most point of the propodeal tubercles measured parallel to the measuring axis.
- PpI: Propodeal Length Index: PpL/HW.
- PpW: Propodeal Width: maximum width of the dorsal propodeal surface in dorsal view.
- REL: Relative Eye Length: EL/HW.
- RFFL: Relative Fore Femur Length: FFL/HW.
- RES: Relative Eye Spread: ES/HW.
- RLES: Relative Lateral Eye Space: LES/HW.
- RMW: Relative Mesonotal Width: MW/HW.
- ROOD: Relative Occiput-Ocular Distance: OOD/HW.
- RPO: Relative Propodeal Overhang: PO/HW.
- SI: Scape index: SL/HW.
- SL: Scape Length: length of the first antennal segment (scape) excluding the basal radicle.
- Shattuck, S. O. 1990. Revision of the dolichoderine ant genus Turneria (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Syst. Entomol. 15:101-117. PDF (page 106, figs.4, 5 worker, queen, male described)