Nothing is known about the biology of Technomyrmex horrens.
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Bolton (2007) - A member of the Technomyrmex bicolor group. A polymorphic species superficially similar to Technomyrmex lisae, but horrens is smaller, with a much shallower median clypeal impression, less deeply impressed posterior margin on the head, and a lack of setae on the third gastral tergite.
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- horrens. Technomyrmex horrens Bolton, 2007a: 86, figs. 61, 70 (w.) BORNEO.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Holotype. TL 3.4, HL 0.81, HW 0.79, SL 0.78, PW 0.49, WL 1.05. Indices: CI 98, S1 99, 0123, EP1 55, DTI 143.
Dorsum of head behind clypeus entirely lacks setae. Anterior clypeal margin with a smoothly arched shallow median concavity that is much broader than long. Posterior margin of head evenly shallowly concave across its width. Eyes relatively small (OI < 25) and located far in front of the midlength; in full-face view the outer margins of the eyes far from the outline of the sides of the head, the latter strongly convex and with elevated projecting short pubescence present. Scapes without setae but with dense short pubescence that is slightly elevated. Dorsum of mesosoma and declivity of propodeum entirely lack setae. Dorsal outline of mesonotum in profile with a short, very shallowly convex anterior section that rounds broadly into a longer, more steeply slotted and shallowly convex declivitous face. In profile the propodeal dorsum rounds into the declivity; straight-line length of dorsum greater than depth of declivity to the spiracle. Gastral tergites 1 - 3 without setae; gastral tergite 4 with setae present. Tibiae without setae. Colour of head, mesosoma, petiole and gaster a uniform dull yellow. Legs the same shade of yellow, the tarsi not noticeably lighter than the tibiae and femora.
Paratype. TL 2.5, HL 0.64, HW 0.56, SL 0.62, PW 0.39, WL 0.84. Indices: CI 88, SI 111, OI 24, EPI 63, DTI 135. As holotype but smaller, the head narrower, with less strongly convex sides and less concave posterior margin. Scape relatively longer than in holotype. Mesonotum in profile with declivitous face about equal in length to the anterior, more or less transverse section.
Holotype worker (upper specimen of two on pin), Malaysia: Sabah, Kinabalu, 28.iv.1987, 1540 m. (Lobl & Burckhardt) (The Natural History Museum). Paratype (lower specimen of two on pin), 1 worker with same data (BMNH).
- Bolton, B. 2007. Taxonomy of the dolichoderine ant genus Technomyrmex Mayr (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) based on the worker caste. Contributions of the American Entomological Institute. 35(1):1-149.
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Bolton B. 2007. Taxonomy of the dolichoderine ant genus Technomyrmex Mayr (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) based on the worker caste. Contributions of the American Entomological Institute 35(1): 1-150.
- Bolton, B. "Taxonomy of the dolichoderine ant genus Technomyrmex Mayr (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) based on the worker caste." Contributions of the American Entomological Institute 35, no. 1 (2007): 1-149.
- Pfeiffer M.; Mezger, D.; Hosoishi, S.; Bakhtiar, E. Y.; Kohout, R. J. 2011. The Formicidae of Borneo (Insecta: Hymenoptera): a preliminary species list. Asian Myrmecology 4:9-58