The holotype and only known specimens of sitra seems to come from a leaf-litter sample. (Bolton 1981)
- 1 Identification
- 2 Distribution
- 3 Biology
- 4 Castes
- 5 Nomenclature
- 6 References
- 7 References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
Similar to the also minute Baracidris meketra but can be separated by the anterior clypeal margin produced into a short truncated simple lobe and the occipital margin of head in full-face view transverse or exceedingly feebly convex, not indented or concave medially. Additionaly, sitra is slightly larger. (Bolton 1981)
Recognized by clypeus produced into a narrow truncated lobe, posterior margin of head not concave medially and body devoid of conspicuous hairs. (Fernández 2003)
Keys including this Species
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's Online Catalogue of the Ants of the World.
- sitra. Baracidris sitra Bolton, 1981b: 256, fig. 14 (w.) GABON.
- Type-material: holotype worker.
- Type-locality: Gabon: Plateau d’Ipassa, VM9, IPA7 (J.M. Barra).
- Type-depository: MCZC.
- Status as species: Bolton, 1995b: 80; Fernández, 2003b: 36.
- Distribution: Gabon.
Unless otherwise noted the text for the remainder of this section is reported from the publication that includes the original description.
Holotype. TL 2.0, HL 0.51, HW 0.44, CI 86, SL 0.31, SI 70, PW 0.31, AL 0.56.
Answering to the description of Baracidris meketra as regards general shape, sculpture etc., but differing as follows.
Anterior clypeal margin produced into a short truncated simple lobe. Occipital margin of head in full-face view transverse or exceedingly feebly convex, not indented or concave medially. Larger, more stockily built species with relatively broader head and shorter antennal scapes - compare standard measurements. Apart from these the lengths of apical and preapical funicular segments in sitra are 0.26, 0.07 respectively, and the dorsal lengths of promesonotum and propodeum are 0.35, 0.12 respectively. Petiole node in dorsal view slightly broader than long (0.13 by 0.10). Propodeal dorsum more strongly convex and the lamella linking the teeth to the metapleural lobes broader, minimum width of the lamella 0.06 (as opposed to 0.03 in meketra holotype).
Holotype worker, Gabon: Plateau d'Ipassa, VM9, IPA 7 (J. A. Barra) (Museum of Comparative Zoology).
- Bolton, B. 1981b. A revision of six minor genera of Myrmicinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in the Ethiopian zoogeographical region. Bull. Br. Mus. (Nat. Hist.) Entomol. 43: 245-307. (page 256, fig. 14 worker described)
- Fernández, F. 2003b. Revision of the myrmicine ants of the Adelomyrmex genus-group (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Zootaxa 361: 1-52 (page 36, see also)
References based on Global Ant Biodiversity Informatics
- Bolton B. 1981. A revision of six minor genera of Myrmicinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in the Ethiopian zoogeographical region. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). Entomology 43: 245-307.
- Braet Y., and B. Taylor. 2008. Mission entomologique au Parc National de Pongara (Gabon). Bilan des Formicidae (Hymenoptera) recoltes. Bulletin S. R. B. E./K.B.V.E. 144: 157-169.
- Fernández, F. 2003. Revision of the myrmicinae ants of the Adelomyrmex genus-group. Zootaxa 361: 1-52.