(Wang, W. & Zhao, 2009)
This little-known species was described from China.
Identification is based on the original description:
Distribution based on Regional Taxon Lists
Distribution based on AntMaps
Distribution based on AntWeb specimens
Check data from AntWeb
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- cavimaculata. Pachycondyla cavimaculata Wang, W. & Zhao, 2009: 47, fig. 3-16 (w.) CHINA. Combination in Parvaponera: Schmidt & Shattuck, 2014: 200.
See Identification above.
- Placed in Parvaponera by Schmidt & Shattuck, 2014: 200.
This species was originally described in Pachycondyla, which was an appropriate placement at the time. In their generic-level revision of the subfamily Ponerinae, Schmidt & Shattuck (2014) transferred it to the newly established genus Parvaponera. They did not examine type material but based their transfer on the original description. Specifically:
- The distribution is within the known range of other Parvaponera species.
- The original description mentions Parvaponera darwinii, the type species of Parvaponera.
- The figure provided with the original description matches Parvaponera species more closely than species placed in other ponerine genera.
However, until reliably identified material is studied the generic placement of this species should be treated as preliminary.
- Wang, W. & Zhao, Y. 2009. A taxonomic study on the family Formicidae from Hubei Province: 210 pp. Huayu Nature Book Trade, China.
- Schmidt, C.A. & Shattuck, S.O. 2014. The higher classification of the ant subfamily Ponerinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae), with a review of ponerine ecology and behavior. Zootaxa. 3817, 1–242 (doi:10.11646/zootaxa.3817.1.1)