Hump-back Cork-head Ants
Diagnosis. Santschi (1926). - "I restore this subgenus, which Emery had suppressed, by restricting it to the third species group of Myrmamblys of Emery, and for which C. moeschi Forel is the type. Thus subgenus differs from the other groups by its strongly constricted mesosoma, which brings it closer to the subgenus Karavaievia Emery; it is distinguished from this latter subgenus by its eyes, which are situated more posteriorly, very near the posterolateral angles of the head. Because of this, C. hypoclinoides Wheeler, having its eyes in the posterior third of the head, must be classified as a member of Karavaievia.
(Translated and edited by B. E. Boudinot, 19 February 2017.)
Myrmotemnus is currently a subgenus of Camponotus.
The following information is derived from Barry Bolton's New General Catalogue, a catalogue of the world's ants.
- MYRMOTEMNUS [subgenus of Camponotus]
- Myrmotemnus Emery, 1920b: 246 [as subgenus of Camponotus]. Type-species: Camponotus moeschi, by original designation.
- Myrmotemnus junior synonym of Myrmamblys: Wheeler, W.M. 1921a: 19; Wheeler, W.M. 1922a: 708; Emery, 1925b: 137.
- Myrmotemnus revived status as subgenus of Camponotus: Santschi, 1926c: 601.
- Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. Mem. Am. Entomol. Inst. 71: 370pp (page 117, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Donisthorpe, H. 1943g. A list of the type-species of the genera and subgenera of the Formicidae. [part]. Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. 11(10): 617-688 (page 671 , Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys (anachronism))
- Emery, C. 1920b. Le genre Camponotus Mayr. Nouvel essai de la subdivision en sous-genres. Rev. Zool. Afr. (Bruss.) 8: 229-260 (page 246, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Emery, C. 1925d. Hymenoptera. Fam. Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae. Genera Insectorum 183: 1-302 (page 137, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)
- Santschi, F. 1926c. Nouvelles notes sur les Campontous. Rev. Suisse Zool. 33: 597-618 (page 601, Myrmotemnus as subgenus of Camponotus)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1921a. Professor Emery's subgenera of the genus Camponotus Mayr. Psyche (Camb.) 28: 16-19 (page 19, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)
- Wheeler, W. M. 1922i. Ants of the American Museum Congo expedition. A contribution to the myrmecology of Africa. VII. Keys to the genera and subgenera of ants. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 45: 631-710 (page 708, Myrmotemnus as junior synonym of Myrmamblys)