Kugler, Jehosua (1916-2007)
Professor Jehoshua Kugler passed away in Tel Aviv on October 24, 2007. He was born in Chortkov, Galicia (then in Austro-Hungary, now within Ukraine) on February 1, 1916, and grew up in Czernowitz (then in Romania, now in Ukraine). In 1934, shortly after matriculating, he emigrated to what was then Palestine. In the same year, almost without any knowledge of Hebrew, he began studying at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Within four years, and while struggling with the language, he completed his M.Sc. degree in zoology, with botany and geology as minors. Kugler's M.Sc. thesis, on the Vespiformes of Jerusalem, supervised by Prof. F .S. Bodenheimer, won the prize of the Science Society of Tel Aviv.
From 1956 to 1960 Kugler worked on a study entitled: "A taxonomic and faunistic study of the tachinid flies of Israel" at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and supervised by Prof. O. Theodor, for which he was awarded his Ph.D. In 1954 he joined the then small faculty of the Department of Zoology at the newly-established Tel Aviv University, as a lecturer in zoology. In 1962 he was promoted to senior lecturer; in 1969 to associate professor and in 1979 to full professor.
J. Kugler published 8 papers on the ants of Israel, six of which had taxonomic content.
- Collingwood, C. A.; Kugler, J. 1994. Solenopsis dentata (Hymenoptera, Formicidae): a new species from Israel. Isr. J. Entomol. 28: 119-122 PDF
- Kugler, J. 1981. A new species of Cataglyphis Förster (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) from Israel and Sinai. Isr. J. Entomol. 15: 83-88 PDF
- Kugler, J. 1984 . The males of Cardiocondyla Emery (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) with the description of the winged male of Cardiocondyla wroughtoni (Forel). Isr. J. Entomol. 17: 1-21 PDF
- Kugler, J. 1987 . The Leptanillinae (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) of Israel and a description of a new species from India. Isr. J. Entomol. 20: 45-57
- Kugler, J.; Soussan, O. 1992. Redescription and biological observations on Leptothorax flavispinus André (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Isr. J. Entomol. 25- 26: 209-213 PDF
- Kugler, Jehoshua; Ionescu, Armin 2007. Anochetus bytinskii, a new ant species from Israel (Hymenoptera: Formicidae).Israel Journal of Entomology Volume: 37 Page(s): 287-298.
- Freidberg, A., 2008. Obituary. Professor Jehoshua Kugler (1916 - 2007) Myrmecol. News 11: 8