Keys and Ant Identification Draft
Species determinations, figuring out the specific latin names of sampled ants, is an important part of many, many ant studies.
- See this page Ant Identification for guidelines on how to identify ants.
- See the Morphology and Terminology page to access numerous determination resources. Links to ant identification keys are given below.
In addition to the many ant keys (see below) posted to Antwiki many of the taxon pages include entries in their identification and nomenclature sections that provide details that can be used to make identifications.
Antwiki is approaching having 500 identification keys that include a range of treatments: regional, subfamily, generic, and species specific keys.
These keys are categorized in various ways:
Keys organized by Taxa
- Keys to Subfamilies
- Keys to Genera
- Keys to Subgenera and Species Groups
- The complete Identification Key list
These keys are also linked to from many antwiki taxa pages. Most importantly they are all listed and linked from in their respective taxa specific identification sections. This includes:
Keys organized by Region
- Character States for Extant Ant Genera of the Formicidae are listed in a table derived from Synopsis of the Formicidae (Bolton 2003).