World Ant Taxonomists
Over the last 250 years, approximately 1000 taxonomists have authored or co-authored at least one taxonomic paper which has included descriptions or taxonomic name changes within the Formicidae. Barry Bolton has continued to update Bolton' Synopsis of the Formicidae and the Catalogue of the Ants of the World. These two important resources provide the basis for this list of authors. The last update is 3 May 2016.
We have created a separate AntWiki page for each author by including an image if available, a brief biographical note, a brief summary of their ant taxonomic contributions and a list of their ant taxonomic and related publications. A reference section includes supporting documents. When PDF reprints become available, we will link these papers to each reference. We have uploaded over 44,130 PDF and JPG documents. If you are interested in contributing to this effort, please submit images and text to AntWiki.
Almost every notably taxonomist relies on the collecting efforts of many individuals that have, in one way or another, made their valuable ant specimens available for study. Many of these collectors are not ant taxonomists. Tales about some of these individuals and their ant collecting related histories can be found on the Naturalist Ant Collectors webpage.
Sources for Biographies
- Carpenter, M. M. 1945. Bibliography of biographies of entomologists. American Midland Naturalist 33(1):1-116.
- Carpenter, M. M. 1953. Supplement. Ibid. 50(2):257-348.
- Chou Io, 1990. A history of Chinese entomology. translated by Wang Siming revised by Chou Io, Lu Kinsheng & Kang Shusen
- Conci, Cesare and Roberto Poggi. 1996. Iconography of Italian Entomologists, with Essential Biographical Data. Mem. Soc. ent. ital., Genova, 75: 159-382.
- Daniels, G. 2004. Bibliography of Australian Entomology 1687-2000 Vol 1 and 2.
- Derksen, W. Scheiding-Göllner, U. 1965-1975. Index litteraturae entomologicae. Serie II: Die Welt-Literatur über die gesamte Entomologie von 1864 bis 1900. 5 vols. Deutsche Akademie der Landwirtschaftswissenschaften, Berlin
- Evenhuis, N.L. 1997. Litteratura Taxonomica Dipterorum (1758-1930).
- Gaedike, R. 1985. Berichtigungen und Ergänzungen zu P. Gilbert: A compendium of biographical literature on deceased entomologists. Beitr. Ent. 35: 368-408.
- Gilbert, P. 1977. A compendium of the biographical literature on deceased entomologists. Xiv + 455 pp. British Museum (Natural History), London
- Gilbert, P. 2005. The Entomological Club and Verrall Supper: A History (1826-2004). 81 pp. London.
- Gilbert, P. 2007. A source book for biographical literature on entomologists. Backhuys, Leiden, 694 pp
- Groll, E. K. (ed.) 2006: Entomologists of the world (biographies, notes on the current locations of entomological collections). Database 2. version, DEI im ZALF e.V.
- Hagen, H. A. 1862-1866. Bibliotheca entomologica. Die Litteratur über das ganze Gebiet der Entomologie bis zum Jahre 1862. 2 vols. W. Engelmann, Leipzig.
- Horn, W. & Schenkling, S. 1928-1929. Index litteraturae entomologicae. Serie: Die Welt-Literatur uber die gesamte Entomologie bis inklusive 1863. 4 vols. W. Horn, Berlin-Dahlem.
- Mallis, A. 1971. American Entomologists. Rutgers Univ. Press, 549pp.
- Musgrave, A. 1932. Bibliography of Australian Entomology 1775-1930 with biographical notes on authors and collectors. R. Zool. Soc. New South Wales, viii + 380 pp.
- Osborn, H. 1952. A brief history of entomology, including time of Demosthenes and Aristotle to modern times with over five hundred portraits. Spahr and Glenn Co., Columbus, 303 pp.
- Taeger, A. & S.M. Blank. (Eds.) 1998. Pflanzenwespen Deutschlands. 364pp. Keltern.